Stanford in Nicaragua

Stanford in Nicaragua
Stanford in Nicaragua 2016

Wednesday, March 9, 2016

The Value of Practical on the Ground Experience


After being in Nicaragua for only a few hours, I quickly noticed that one learns so much more through practical experience rather than through books. After we met with our first church based community—San Pablo Apostol, I felt as if I finally understood the true meaning of liberation theology. I no longer knew the definition alone, now I could put faces to it. Talking to people about their experiences painted a completely new image of this ideology for me. It deepened my understanding and my appreciation for it grew. As mentioned in Brown’s Liberation Theology: An introductory Guide, the church based communities where inspired by “a conviction that the world should not be this way, a rediscovery of the biblical notion of the preferential option for the poor, a new accent on hope and a possibility of liberation…” (Brown 71). I find this interpretation of the church extremely inspiring. To believe that change is mandated by the gospel and to challenge the institutions, especially the hierarchical church, and tailor ideologies to fit one's needs is a liberating experience. One of the members of this church based community shared that when they were building their church the military showed up and attempted to stop them. She said that to prevent them from derailing their project, the church members sat on the foundation rocks of the building for hours to show that they weren’t going anywhere. I was so blown away by their bravery and dedication. Listening to their experiences was incredibly inspiring and I would have loved to talk to them longer.

Linda Madrid
2015 Delegation

No comments:

Post a Comment